Why Rain is Good on Wedding Days
OK, it’s time to come clean: how often have you checked your weather app in the week leading up to your wedding hoping to see that little yellow sunshine symbol?
If what you’re getting instead is a grey cloud with raindrops, do not fret. Whilst we’ve worked in all sorts of weather from eyelash-freezing to railway-line bending heat, rainy days are not all doom and gloom.
Some of the most beautiful photos I’ve taken were on rainy days, and here is why:
- Umbrellas are awesome. They make great props and the ones I permanently carry in my car could cover the size of a small country. Feel free to BYO and match the style to your wedding theme.
- Rain provides beautiful reflections in the photos. It makes for creative shots you just couldn’t normally set up.
- Lighting is more constant meaning we can get even tones, more detail in your dress and deeper, richer colours throughout the shot.
- ‘Angry’ clouds make for amazing backdrops full of depth and interest. (Are you hoping for rain yet?)
- Gumboots are ‘in’ big time. Who could have predicted that one? So jump online and have fun shopping, because most of our wet-weather brides make the gumboots a special feature of their outfit.
- Overcast weather eliminates squinting and everyone is more comfortable in their outfits, particularly the boys in vests and jackets.
- Bonus: Fog. Now we’re talking! If we can score this one you will not be disappointed. Fog adds a magical element not only to photos but to the atmosphere on the day.
So do not resist what you can’t change but be prepared in advance – we’ll help devise a Plan B and include it in your runsheet. Then simply be one with the weather!